HTTP Rotating & Static
- 40 million IPs for all purposes
- 195+ locations
- 3 day moneyback guarantee
about | help | how to post – Craigslist
How to submit a free craigslist post
Follow the steps below to submit a free post to craigslist without using an account.
If you want to post using a craigslist account, go to your account homepage. Select a city from the dropdown at far right, click “go, ” and follow the steps below starting with step 3. (If you have trouble finding the right craigslist site, visit our list of available sites, and choose the most appropriate one. )
Please note that the steps may vary a bit depending on the category of your post.
1. Visit our homepage,
Make sure the location named at the top is where you want to post.
If the location is not correct, visit our list of available sites, and choose the most appropriate one.
2. Click “post to classifieds” in the top-left corner.
3. Select a category for your post.
Depending on the type of post, you may be asked to choose additional categories.
In “for sale” you can select a more specific category (such as “bicycles – by owner”).
In some cities, you may select a subarea (e. g. “manhattan”) and neighborhood (e. “SoHo”).
4. Enter the text for your post.
This page will vary depending on the category of your post. Important fields include:
posting title: your post’s name. It will appear in the main list of posts.
posting description: the body of your post.
reply to: the email address you want to use for responses. Please enter it twice.
5. When you are finished writing your post, click “continue” at the bottom of the screen:
6. In some categories you will have the option to add images to your post.
For further assistance with uploading images, please visit this page.
When you’re finished adding images, click “done with images. ”
7. Make sure your post looks right.
Confirm that your email address and the location of your post are accurate.
To make changes, click “edit text” or “edit images. ”
If everything looks good, click “publish. ”
8. You will now need to confirm your post via email.
When the system says “further action is required, ” check your email for a message from craigslist.
9. Open the email from craigslist, and click the confirmation link.
If you are unable to click on the link, try copying and pasting it into your web browser.
If all goes right, your post should appear on craigslist about 15 minutes after your confirmation.
Need to edit or delete your post?
HTTP Rotating & Static
- 40 million IPs for all purposes
- 195+ locations
- 3 day moneyback guarantee
How to Sell Items on the Craigslist Website – Business Insider
The process for listing an item to sell on Craigslist is relatively straightforward.
You can sell items on Craigslist, just like classified ads in newspapers, for free — you don’t even need a Craigslist account.
Make sure the Craigslist website is set to your correct city, then click the link to create a post.
Here’s everything you need to know about listing items for sale on Craigslist.
Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Something is loading.
Craigslist is a modern-day community bulletin board, filled with classified ads where you can buy and sell items for free. That’s in contrast to sites like eBay, where the site generally gets a cut of the sale. Posting an item for sale on Craigslist is easy, and you can create an ad in just minutes. You don’t even need to create a Craigslist account to start selling.
How to sell an item on Craigslist1. Open the Craigslist website in a web browser. It should automatically default to your locale, but if it gets it wrong – or you want to sell something in a different location – use the list of locations on the right side of the page to pick the right city. You can browse by city or state at the bottom of the list.
Select your location if it’s not already set to the right city.
Dave Johnson/Business Insider
2. On the left side of the page, click “create a posting. “3. On the next page, you might need to fine-tune your location. If there are sub-boards in your city, click the one that best matches your location. 4. Answer the question “what type of posting is this” by choosing the correct option, which is probably “for sale by owner. ”
If you’re selling a personal item, you probably need to choose “for sale by owner, ” then click “Continue. ”
5. Choose the category of item you want to sell. If in doubt, click the link to see the list of prohibited items (you can’t sell firearms, alcohol, or tobacco, among other items), but otherwise pick the category that best suits your for-sale item. 6. On the form page, enter as many details as possible. Give your item a descriptive title, the price you want to sell it for, and a description of the product. In the “contact info” section, enter your email address – this will not be published online, but Craigslist will direct replies to your ad to this email address. For your security and privacy, it’s a good idea to not share your phone number in the phone/text section.
Complete the form to indicate what you’re selling and include as many details as possible for potential buyers.
7. When the form is completed, click “Continue. “8. A lot of people may see this ad, so to help them know if you are in their area, fine-tune your location on the map. You can enter a nearby major cross street to help potential buyers. Click “Continue. “9. It’s easier to sell an item if you have good-quality, current photos. Take some pictures and then add them using the “Add images” button. You can drag images around to change their order.
Upload and arrange photos of the item you are selling.
10. When you’ve uploaded and arranged your photos, click “done with images. “11. If you’re happy with your ad, click “publish. ”
Click “publish, ” but you will also need to confirm the sale via email before it appears online.
12. The screen will display a message: “Important – Further action is required to complete your request! ” 13. Within a minute or two, you should get an email from Craigslist asking you to confirm the posting. Click the link in the email to confirm. After that, the ad should appear on Craigslist within about 15 minutes. You should keep this email to easily find the online ad again later to update, refresh, or delete the post.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:How to sell items on eBay by creating an item listing, and start your own marketplaceHow to search for a seller on eBay in 2 different waysHow to list and sell items on Facebook Marketplace, Facebook’s version of CraigslistHow to sell books on AmazonHow to sell items on Amazon like used books, unwanted gifts, and other products
Dave Johnson is a technology journalist who writes about consumer tech and how the industry is transforming the speculative world of science fiction into modern-day real life. Dave grew up in New Jersey before entering the Air Force to operate satellites, teach space operations, and do space launch planning. He then spent eight years as a content lead on the Windows team at Microsoft. As a photographer, Dave has photographed wolves in their natural environment; he’s also a scuba instructor and co-host of several podcasts. Dave is the author of more than two dozen books and has contributed to many sites and publications including CNET, Forbes, PC World, How To Geek, and Insider.
Receive a selection of our best stories daily based on your reading preferences.
Tech How To
It indicates an expandable section or menu, or sometimes previous / next navigation options.
An icon in the shape of a lightning bolt.
How to Set up a Craigslist Account – wikiHow
This wikiHow teaches you how to make a Craigslist account. Craigslist is a free online classifieds service through which you can buy and sell items, solicit and hire for positions, and meet people. Since Craigslist doesn’t have an official mobile app, you’ll need to use your computer to create your Craigslist account.
2Enter your email address. In the text box below the “Create an account” heading near the bottom of the page, type in the email address you want to use to create your Craigslist account.
3Click Create account. It’s below the text box. Doing so sends a confirmation email to your specified email address.
4Open the email address’ inbox. Go to the website that hosts your email address and sign into your email service if prompted.
Open the email from Craigslist. Click the New Craigslist Account email from sender “craigslist – automated message” in your email’s inbox.
If you don’t see this email within a few minutes of clicking Create account on the Craigslist account page, check your email inbox’s Spam or Junk folder.
On Gmail, you may have to look for the email in the Updates folder.
6Click the login link. This long link is in the middle of the email. Doing so opens the password creation page.
Create a password. Type the password you want to use to log into your Craigslist account into the “new password” text box, then re-type the password into the “re-type new password” text box.
These two password entries must match.
Click Set Password. It’s below the bottom text box. Doing so confirms your password and closes the page.
When you want to log into Craigslist in the future, you’ll go to, enter your email address and password in the “Email / Handle” and “Password” text fields (respectively), and click Log in.
9Click the continue to your account link. This takes you to your account page. You can now begin enjoying Craigslist as a registered user.
Add New Question
Is Craigslist free?
This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
wikiHow Staff Editor
How do I put a post on Craigslist?
How do I list for free on Craigslist?
Do you have to create an account to post on Craigslist?
Support wikiHow by
unlocking this staff-researched answer.
You don’t need to have an account to post things on Craigslist. However, sellers often like to make an account because there are benefits that come with it, such as a control panel for managing your ads and easy re-posting if the item hasn’t sold. The ability to manage your posts doesn’t exist if you don’t have an account.
How do I download pictures for my Craigslist ad?
If you are online and see a picture, right-click on it and select “View Image. ” Then, just right-click in the new tab that opens up and select “Save Image As. ”
What do I do if the Craigslist app keeps shutting down?
There are lots of apps that are designed to access Craigslist, but there is no Craigslist app. Delete the app you downloaded to access Craigslist and try a different one or access Craigslist using a web browser.
What can I do if I misspelled my email address while making a new account?
Make another new account, but spell your address correctly this time.
How do I delete my old account and start over with a new email address?
Go to your email inbox, and click on your account settings. It’s different for every email provider, but usually somewhere in the settings you can delete your email.
Do I need an account to buy something?
You do not need an account to buy something. Simply go to the ad for the item you want to purchase and click on “reply”. Use the contact information to contact the seller and make purchase arrangements.
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
While Craigslist doesn’t have an official mobile app through which you can sign up for an account, you can use the free (and licensed) CPlus for Craigslist app to browse Craigslist postings.
As with any classifieds service, be wary of claims, products, or people encountered on Craigslist, and don’t give out your personal information.
About This Article
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 436, 188 times.
Is this article up to date?
Frequently Asked Questions about how to register to sell on craigslist
How do I post something on Craigslist for free?
Visit our homepage, craigslist.org. Make sure the location named at the top is where you want to post. … Click “post to classifieds” in the top-left corner.Select a category for your post. Depending on the type of post, you may be asked to choose additional categories. … Enter the text for your post.
Does it cost to sell on Craigslist?
Craigslist is a modern-day community bulletin board, filled with classified ads where you can buy and sell items for free. That’s in contrast to sites like eBay, where the site generally gets a cut of the sale. Posting an item for sale on Craigslist is easy, and you can create an ad in just minutes.Nov 12, 2020