Open proxy – Wikipedia
An open proxy is a type of proxy server that is accessible by any Internet user.
Generally, a proxy server only allows users within a network group (i. e. a closed proxy) to store and forward Internet services such as DNS or web pages to reduce and control the bandwidth used by the group. With an open proxy, however, any user on the Internet is able to use this forwarding service.
An open proxy forwarding requests from and to anywhere on the Internet.
An anonymous open proxy is useful to those looking for online anonymity and privacy, as it can help users hide their IP address from web servers since the server requests appear to originate from the proxy server. It makes it harder to reveal their identity and thereby helps preserve their perceived security while browsing the web or using other internet services. Real anonymity and extensive internet security might not be achieved by this measure alone as website operators can use client-side scripts to determine the browser’s real IP address and the open proxy may be keeping logs of all connections.
Most public VPNs work through open proxies.
It is possible for a computer to run as an open proxy server without the computer’s owner knowing it. This can result from misconfiguration of proxy software running on the computer, or from infection with malware (viruses, trojans or worms) designed for this purpose.  If it is caused by malware, the infected computer is known as a zombie computer.
Testing for access from an open proxy
Because open proxies are often implicated in abuse, a number of methods have been developed to detect them and to refuse service to them. IRC networks with strict usage policies automatically test client systems for known types of open proxies.  Likewise, a mail server may be configured to automatically test mail senders for open proxies, using software such as proxycheck. 
Groups of IRC and electronic mail operators run DNSBLs publishing lists of the IP addresses of known open proxies, such as AHBL, CBL, NJABL (till 2013), and SORBS (since 2002).
Open mail relay
^ “Accidental spamming, zombies and spoofing”. Australian Communications and Media Authority. Archived from the original on 2015-12-25. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
^ “Blitzed Open Proxy Monitor”. 2011-08-21. Archived from the original on August 15, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
^ “proxycheck: Open Proxy checker”. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
Open proxies at Curlie
Seamless Proxy Interconnection at the Switching Layer – IEEE …
View Purchased Documents
Profession and Education
US & Canada: +1 800 678 4333
Worldwide: +1 732 981 0060
Contact & Support
About IEEE Xplore
Privacy & Opting Out of Cookies
A not-for-profit organization, IEEE is the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. © Copyright 2021 IEEE – All rights reserved. Use of this web site signifies your agreement to the terms and conditions.
Astrill Application:Other Features and Options
Astrill application has 3 Modes of VPN, OpenWeb, OpenVPN and StealthVPN, you can switch between these protocols with a single click.
You can switch between modes from the Astrill app title bar. By default, Astrill app is set to Openweb mode. Click on the drop down arrow to show other modes.
OpenWeb Mode works in all major Web Browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome). This VPN usually offers faster surfing speeds and has more features. It is also suitable for web surfing and streaming videos websites (such as YouTube, Vimeo, Vevo, and many others).
OpenVPN Mode is based on industry standard SSL encryption (AES or BlowFish). Traffic from all applications is protected and this VPN works also with P2P applications (Bittorrent).
StealthVPN brings better security with 2-layer encryption. Works on Windows/Mac/Linux/android. Works even in countries with high censorship, like China, UAE, Syria, etc.
If you’re in Openweb, click on the SETTINGS menu to see Openweb Options.
If you choose OpenVPN, click on the SETTINGS menu, it automatically switches to OpenVPN Options.
If you choose StealthVPN, click on the SETTINGS menu, it automatically switches to StealthVPN Options.
This feature allows you to customize the visibility of your Astrill application. By default, Show Tray Icon and Always on Top is selected as you can see from the picture below.
1. Click on SETTINGS menu and choose User Interface….
2. Show Tray Icon – This shows Astrill icon in the system tray, blinking while connected to server.
3. Simple Icon – This shows Astrill icon in the system tray which doesn’t blink.
4. Always on Top – This keeps Astrill on top of other windows.
5. Use big servers menu – This will show a big drop down menu with servers list which makes it easier to find a server.
6. Hot Key – This will set system global Hot-key which toggles Astrill ON/OFF.
7. Click OK to save changes.
8. If you tick Simple Icon, it will show Astrill simple icon which does not blink from system tray as shown from Screenchot 1.
9. If you untick Always on Top, this will show Astrill windows from the background as shown from Screenshot 2.
10. If you tick Use big servers menu, this will expand servers list to a big drop down menu of servers as shown from Screenshot 3.
11. If you set CTRL as Hot key, you can start using CTRL button to toggle Astrill app ON/OFF.
12. Always click OK for every changes you made.
Astrill has a Proxy (optional) Feature for users who are on company, school or work place network which requires clients to use proxy to gain internet access.
So if you intent to use proxy, then the only way Astrill will work for you is if you put proxy settings.
We support HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS4, SOCKS4a, SOCKS5… proxy type.
1. Click on SETTINGS menu and choose Proxy Settings… option.
2. By default, it is set to No Proxy.
3. If you click on the drop down arrow, you can see the other option such as HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS4, SOCKS4a, SOCKS5.
4. For example you choose HTTP proxy from school, you have to choose HTTP.
5. Enter your Proxy Address.
6. Enter Port.
7. Enter Username.
8. Enter Password.
9. You can uncheck Basic Authentication box if proxy doesn’t work.
10. Click OK to save changes.
Astrill has a built-in feature where you can change your Astrill account’s password within few seconds.
1. Click on SETTINGS menu and select Change Password option.
2. Type in your Current password.
3. Type in your New password.
You are requested to set a password that is at least 8 characters long. It must contain at least ONE OF EACH of the following categories:
lowercase alphabet letter: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
uppercase alphabet letter: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
special character:! @#$%^&*()?., _-=;+
4. Retype your new password in Repeat new password.
5. You can use Cancel button if you want to cancel/try to set again.
6. Click on OK button to save changes.
Router Setup Wizard
This is the quick and intuitive way to install Astrill vpn on Router.
It is mandatory to have a router which is flashed with DD-WRT, Tomato or Merlin firmware and then you can use this Router Setup Wizard to install Astrill applet on your router.
1. Click on HELP menu and choose Router Setup… option to open Router Setup Wizard.
2. Select Install Astrill on my router, if you already flashed your router with the correct firmware.
3. You can choose Uninstall Astrill from my router if, for some reason, you need to uninstall Astrill applet on your router.
4. You can use Click here to view list of supported routers, to check if your router supports DD-WRT firmware.
5. Tick this Find my router automatically so that the system can install the applet on your router. This may require your router login details as well.
6. Click on the NEXT button to proceed to the installation process.
7. Once it is installed, you will be prompted that the installation is already finished.
You will need to go to Status tab -> My Page tab from your router control page to access Astrill on your router.
Router MUST have 8 MB FLASH MEMORY for OpenVPN to be installed.
Openvpn, Big, Mega and Giga build is required since OpenVPN binaries is not included in lighter versions of DD-WRT
Note2: We even provide pre-installed routers with Astrill VPN at very affordable rates. All Astrill VPN routers come preinstalled with Astrill VPN and ready to use immediately. You get access to all Astrill VPN servers (330 servers in 50 countries with free and unlimited switches), and you have option to add private IPs as well. You can order them from this page – Speed Test
You can easily test Astrill VPN servers Speed and Ping using its unique Speed Test tool. This tool is more accurate than web based tools like
1. Click on HELP menu and choose Speed Test… option in the drop down list.
2. You can see the list of servers. In Select country, it is set to All countries by default. You can click on the drop down arrow to choose specific country to test.
3. This is the speed meter set in kb/s, it will start to move if you click on Test or Test All button below.
4. You can tick the Test ping only box if you want to test ping only without speed.
5. You can click on Test button if you selected a specific country to test.
6. You can click on Test All button if you want to check the speed/ping of all servers available.
Online Help option redirects you to Astrill Wiki page where you can find configurations for all the devices that Astrill supports.
1. Click on HELP menu then choose Online Help.
2. It will redirect you to Astrill’s Wiki page. You can find the tutorial links for different devices supported by Astrill and all the features included from Astrill application.
Show Tips feature provides users with useful Tips & Tricks on each start up of Astrill application.
1. Click on HELP menu from Astrill application and click on Show Tips….
2. It will redirect you to the Astrill Tip of the Day! that pops out every start up of Astrill application.
3. This shows the Page number over the total number of pages.
4. You can untick this box to disable Astrill Tip of the Day from popping out every start up.
5. Click on <
This option enables you to reset your Astrill application’s settings to it’s factory default.
1. Click on HELP menu and select Reset Settings… Click on Yes or No / [X] button to Confirm or Cancel the prompt.
Show Log feature shows the progress of connection.
Here is how it works:
1. Click on HELP menu and select Show Log… option to open.
2. New window will pop out and shows Astrill Log where you can see your connection progress.
In case you encounter any issue with connection, it will show the connection progress and there you can see what is wrong.
You can also copy/paste and send this log to Astrill support for help in order to resolve the issue.
This option will redirect you to contact us page where users can contact Astrill support department via Email, Live Chat, and other options.
1. Click on HELP menu and then choose Contact Us.
2. You will be redirected to Contact us page from Astrill’s official website.
Fill in this form to contact Astrill support via email.
Here you can find contact details of different departments.
Click on Live Chat widget to talk to a Live Chat support representative.
Frequently Asked Questions about openweb proxy
What do you mean by open proxy?
An open proxy is a type of proxy server that is accessible by any Internet user. Generally, a proxy server only allows users within a network group (i.e. a closed proxy) to store and forward Internet services such as DNS or web pages to reduce and control the bandwidth used by the group.
What is an open socks proxy?
In Summary. A SOCKs5 proxy is a lightweight, general-purpose proxy that sits at layer 5 of the OSI model and uses a tunneling method. It supports various types of traffic generated by protocols, such as HTTP, SMTP and FTP. SOCKs5 is faster than a VPN and easy to use.Sep 27, 2019
What is the bypass proxy?
The Proxy Bypass tab of the Bypass Settings page enables you to define sites that bypass the cloud service for all policies. … A proxy bypass destination can be a domain name, an IP address, or a subnet. Both the Proxy Connect and Direct Connect endpoint clients use the bypass definitions.